Loshitsky park and estate complex
Loshitsky park and estate complex is one of the most interesting and mysterious places in Minsk. It is one of the oldest extant architectural monuments of this kind in Belarus which is full of mystery and legends. There is an old 10th century settlement which excavations prove that Loshitsa and Minsk were found at one time.
The first estate appeared here in the middle of 16th century. The estate was in the possession of many families throughout the centuries (the Tolochinskiye, the Drutskie-Gorskiye, the Prushinskie the Liubanskie). In the time of the Prushinskie, throughout the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century, many outstanding people – painters, writers and musicians – put up at the estate. One of the founders of Belarusian literature Vincent Dunin-Marcinkiewicz liked visiting Loshitsa and often referred to it in his works. An eminent Polish painter Jozef Peszka, who lived in Minsk in the early 19th century, depicted the estate on his picture.
Being in the possession of Evstafy Liubanski, one of the largest landowners of Minsk guberniya, Loshitsa was at the height of its fame and acquired its final appearance.
Enterprising Evstafy Liubanski, attentive to the latest achievements of science and technology, radically reorganized the estate. Due to Liubanski a modern distillery (the building of the distillery is well preserved until nowadays) and two new watermills appeared in Loshitsa. The house estate was rebuilt in accordance with architectural tendencies of that period. The estate house with the elements of Art Nouveau amazes by the originality and perfection of its architectural forms.
Being an active public figure, educated and cultural man, Evstafy Liubanski was well-known among the intelligentsia and the nobility of Minsk. The owner of Loshitsa and his young wife Yadviga Liubanskaya from family Kieniewicz brought many canvases of famous painters to the estate. Thanks to their effort the library of the estate became one of the richest libraries in Minsk region. The Liubanskie often organized spectacular balls for high society of Minsk guberniya, they also devoted themselves to charity organizations.
Loshitsa was greatly devastated and destructed during the First World War and the October revolution. After the October revolution the branch of all-Union Institute of Plant Growing opened in Loshitsa. The Belorussian branch was to study industrial crops and potato in detail. Since that time there were a lot of beautiful gardens and orchards with a rich collection of fruit and ornamental plants in Loshitsa, created by a hard work of plant scientists and plant breeders.
During the Second World War Loshitsa and its territory sustained a serious damage. Within occupation, from 1941 until 1944, in Loshitsa there was the residence of Minsk regional commissar. Not far from the estate the invaders shot down peaceful population. A unique chapel of 18th century was completely destroyed during the war.
In spite of all destructions, Loshitsa has preserved its mysterious atmosphere which was always attractive to people of art: poets, artists and musicians. The ancient park and estate continue to exist receiving new legends and secrets.
Legend of White Lady
The 20th century Loshitsa is well-known for the tragic death of the last owner of Loshitsa estate Evstafy Liubanski`s wife. Young Yadviga Liuubanskaya from family Kieniewicz was 20 years younger than her husband. Her beauty, courtly manners and erudition made Yadviga the heroine of all Minsk`s balls and parties, organized by the aristocracy. Being a married noblewoman brought up in the Polish Catholic traditions, she had the misfortune to fall in love with the Minsk governor-general A. Musin-Pushkin. The life of the girl turned up to be dramatic: all Minsk`s high society was talking about her secret love affair, the relatives of Yadviga were indignant at her, and she herself was confused and lost. On the 1905 Revolution eve Musin-Pushkin was recalled to Saint Petersburg. Since that time Yadviga regularly received numerous despatches from Saint Petersburg which made her lawful husband infuriating. One evening, perhaps after another row with her husband Yadviga ran out and turned to the river. Nobody knows what happened later that day, she could have drowned herself or there could have been an accident. Some time later Liubanski found her body in the river not far away from the estate. Any attempts to bring her to life failed. To commemorate his wife, the inconsolable spouse planted a Manchurian apricot-tree near the estate house which blooms every April. Since then the ghost of the drowned lady is said to appear every spring when apricot trees are in blossom and to foretell those in love their future. The White Lady is considered to be the most prominent ghost in Minsk.
Loshitsky park and estate complex attractions:
Manor house (built in 1880s, architectural monument of the modern style)
Annexe (built at the end of 19th century)
Chapel debris (architectural monument of 18th century built in the baroque style)
Distillery (built in 1896)
Watermill on the river Losh
Watermill ruins on the river Svisloch
Century-old Mighty Oak
Update date: 14.09.2009