V. Vankovich`s House
Creating the museum "The House of Vankovich. The culture and art of the first half of the 19th century" - the authors of the project aimed at making it the centre of cultural life and disposing it on the territory of the former Volosskaya street of Upper Town in Minsk as it used to be in the 19th century.
The museum was opened in 2000 on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the renowned artist Valentiy Vankovich (1800-1842). Nowadays it displays a permanent exposition, that covers several topics: the first two halls are dedicated to Vankovich`s life and works: archive materials, portraits photographs and the original works of art and decorative and applied arts are exposed there too. The architecture of the Vankovich`s House is typical for the buildings of the 18th – the first half of the 19th centuries.
The Vankovich`s House was built at the end of the 18th century. During the architectural and archaeological researches it was found out that the territory had been inhabited in the end of the 16th century, and in the second half of the 17th century a stone house had been constructed here, the cellars of which are now situated under the north part of the Vankovich`s House.
Valenty Vankovich is one of the few Belarusian artists of the 19th century, whose name is etched not only in the history of culture of his motherland culture but far beyond it. He created a big portrait gallery of his contemporaries. Unfortunately, there is not a single original painting of Vankovich in the Republic of Belarus so far. The copy of Vankovich self-portrait and one of the most famous artist’s works – the portrait of Adam Mickiewicz, are displaced in the museum. The 19th century art is represented by the art works of the artists-contemporaries of Vankovich.
Portrait galleries were an indispensable fashion accessory of the house, where the portraits of ancestors and family members were placed. Family portraits of Belarusian nobility (szlachta) of the 17th – first half of the 19th centuries take place in the museum exposition.
Though there are no portraits of Vankovich`s family representatives in the museum, still most of the portraits demonstrate the contemporaries of the artist, who had a certain social status – szlachta, military men, law officers, their wives and daughters. Appearance, character, clothes, the level of intellect and culture of the personages of Vankovich are precisely reproduced on his portraits.
The study, the dining room, the tea-room and the front parlour have been totally restored to their original appearance with well-preserved furniture, lamps and household items.
One of the halls serves as a music hall. In the first quarter of the 19th century musical evenings became traditional in noblemen estates. Such events were regularly held in the Vankovich`s House as well. Nowadays, the tradition of such evenings has been renewed in the House. The most interactive exhibit in The House of Vankovich is the piano. The employees of the museum play the piano during the excursions, and it also can be heard at chamber music concerts held in the music hall. Concerts of classical music, poetic and historic evenings devoted to various events and personages of native history are regularly held in the music parlour.
Open days: Wednesday – Sunday 10 am-6 pm. (ticket office open until 5.30 pm.).
Address: 33a Internatsionalnaya St. (the nearest metro stations - "Oktyabskaya", "Kupalovskaya", "Nemiga").
For any questions: (017) 227-87-96.
The Vankovichys` House
Update date: 29.10.2009