- works out and implements through appropriate government agencies and organizations measures aimed at preventing child neglect and juvenile delinquency, eliminating the causes of these phenomena, protecting their rights;
- controls and coordinates the activities of lower-ranking juvenile commissions , provides them with methodological assistance, generalizes and disseminates experience of these commissions;
- carries out other measures to prevent child neglect and juvenile delinquency, protect their rights stipulated by the laws of the Republic of Belarus.
In addition, the district juvenile commissions of the city, within their authorities and with the aim of preventing child neglect and juvenile delinquency and protecting their rights:
- recognize the need of the juvenile in state protection. They approve and exercise control over the implementation of interdepartmental plans to protect the rights and legitimate interests of minors who are in need of state protection;
- give consent to the termination of employment contracts with workers under the age of eighteen in accordance with paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 6 of Article 42 of the Labour Code of The Republic of Belarus;
- in accordance with the procedure established by law, address court with statements in defense of the rights and legitimate interests of minors;
submit for consideration at the Minsk City Executive Committee and the district administrations issues concerning the state of educational and preventive work, job training, job placement and education of minors;
- participate, in case of necessity, in consideration of materials on violations or other antisocial acts of minors, their parents or persons in loco parentis at relevant bodies, institutions and organizations involved in the prevention of child neglect and juvenile delinquency;
- visit minors at the place of their residence, work or study, conduct interviews with teenagers, their parents or persons in loco parentis;
receive and conduct interviews with minors, their parents, persons in loco parentis and other citizens;
- take other measures directed at preventing child neglect and juvenile delinquency and protecting their rights, which are stipulated by the law of the Republic of Belarus.
In addition, the district juvenile commissions, with the aim of preventing child neglect and juvenile delinquency and protecting their rights, organize individual preventive work of agencies, institutions and other organizations that are engaged in prevention of child neglect and juvenile delinquency with respect to the minors who:
- have committed other antisocial acts;
- live in families at social risk;
- caught in a difficult situation and needing social assistance and rehabilitation.
- the state of educational and preventive work with juveniles who are registered at juvenile commissions or kept at reception centers, reformatories; the conditions of upbringing, education and juvenile detention at institutions dealing with child neglect and juvenile delinquency, specialized institutions for minors who are in need of social assistance and rehabilitation, children's boarding schools, institutions providing general secondary, vocational and higher education, special educational and health-care institutions, other educational, cultural, sports and recreation centers, other organizations as well as at the place of their residence;
- identification of minors needing aid from the state;
- the state of educational work with juveniles in the organizations in which they work;
- organization of educational and preventive work with juveniles with regard to whom measures of educational character have been taken, or those who have been sentenced to punishments other than imprisonment, or have been released ahead of time, or have returned from reformatories or special educational and health-care institutions (together with the bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs), who have committed an administrative offence.
- coordinate individual preventive work at agencies, institutions and other organizations that are engaged in child neglect and juvenile delinquency with regard to parents or persons replacing them, if they do not perform or improperly perform their duties on education of minors, or negatively affect their behavior, or maltreat them or otherwise violate the rights of minors;
- perform the functions of wardship and guardianship authorities when to remove the child;
- form a committee which includes representatives of the department (division) of education of the local executive and administrative body (hereinafter - Department (division) of Education), representatives of the department of internal affairs and, if necessary, representatives of the committee on health care, or other organizations to remove the child from the family (or a single parent) if the child needs state protection;
- determine the immovable property of the parents and/or the vehicle whose child is to be taken state care of, and the day following the day the decision on removing the child from the family (or a single parent), the government body that registrates the immovable property and the Management of the State Automobile Inspection of the Ministry of Internal Affairs inform of the parents' duty to compensate the costs incurred by the state for the maintenance of children in public care for prohibiting alienation of the property and/or the vehicle.
Nationwide single number - 8 801 100 16 11 (free call), the city of Minsk - 315 00 00.